Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Apike


A news by yahoofreeshop:More than half of the players in Racquet Network’s Calgary pickleball programs now play with Apike paddles which have been banned by the USAPA......
Most players say they prefer the Apike because it is lighter than other paddles. Some like it because it is quieter Some prefer it because it offers (and delivers) superior spin and control. However nobody has ever said that they use an Apike because it allows them to hit the ball harder......
Amongst the players in our club, the Apike paddle has an excellent reputation. In fact, the only players in our group who don’t own at least one are either snow birds who play in USAPA tournaments or are simply averse to paying more than $70 for a pickleball paddle.
As accepted as it may be within our circles however it does encounter opposition from the occasional outsider who comes to play with us.......
Oh no said one wide-eyed Arizona pickleball player last week. I won’t even go on the court when people are using those things” she said nodding in the direction of a tiny 68-year-old woman clutching an Apike paddle.....
Hmmm I wondered. Is she really fearful? How hard does she imagine that a tiny 68.year.old woman can hit a pickleball? Is there really that much of a difference between her own Pro.Lite paddle and her would-be opponent’s Apike? How much of this is fact and how much is fiction I asked myself?
For more than a year I have been hearing and reading all kinds of rumours about the Apike but I haven’t seen any facts. So to begin arriving at some I did what any guy my age would do I bought a radar gun......
My quest: to test a variety of racquets and balls and determine which if any may present a danger to the players in my pickleball programs. After all if people refuse to play against a particular paddle that will have an impact on our clubs......
Share |

Text Widget

Share |

Text Widget

online counter