Dave Niehaus


A news by 4usnews:Dave Niehaus:I have a nagging feeling of nostalgia and sadness all day today is the same as the feeling that I was on Labor Day in 2008 on the day his mother Suzanne passed on. And indeed at about five o’clock in the afternoon I received a call from a friend with the sad news of the death of Dave Niehaus in the age of 75 due to a heart attack.

As we speak I’m listening to the radio, as people call in with stories and memories of Dave Niehaus and his long period as an announcer for the Seattle Mariners. Ken Griffey called in a few minutes ago, and he, along with all the other fans all seem to be the same love and admiration for this giant in the history of Seattle.

Apparently there is a candle light vigil going on down at Safeco Field, as we speak, I’m going to head to once I finish this post in honor of his voice and spirit of the Seattle Mariners and our team. ”

I was listening to Dave Niehaus for 30 years and have heard it all. My best memories come from the magic 1995 season, when I offended a great couple of times. The first time I brought the vacuum cleaner handle the third game of the series, which went on to sweep the Mariners for their second sweep in a row at home in the magic mileage 95. Apparently someone tipped off Niehaus, and he saw me and announced on air that “fans are going crazy and even avacuum cleaner!” True story check out tapes from the 95, and it shows me a vacuum cleaner handle clip crazy!
My second story comes from the same season, when I decided to meet with the team when they flew from New York after losing the first 2 games in the series. It turns out they were arriving at Boeing Field, and I waited there from 3 o’clock in the morning until they arrived at 530 with my little bannerMariners applause from the guys along with a couple of other fans as they walked in off the plane. Once they got inside the small terminal and baggage sorting was I greeted with a couple of players, and I remember Niehaus rotary switch on and told me and everyone around us that we can still win this thing, “Of course, we all know the rest history for the series, which won Niehaus appeal to well-known Run scored Griffey, that I have witnessed first hand.
This is a sad way to end a terrible season. The thing that saddens me most is that Dave was not able to call the World Series for his belovedMariners . I felt all year, he faded away, like maybe he could not hold out longer for his team. I I remember him looking at the events of USS Mariner, which was held at the end of the season before playing with Jack Z. and several hundred modern type sabermetrics fans. I remember looking at Niehaus in his booth, as he leaned back and looked like us. I think that he knew that his style, values, and indeed of his era was disappearing in the new modern world, which, as he himself does not quite understand where all this is heading, too, but it’s not like the good old days back in Indiana, where Dave grew up........
Share |

Text Widget

Share |

Text Widget

online counter